Are there side effects to treatment for bacterial infections?

Common side effects to antibiotic drugs include diarrhea and upset stomach. Women taking antibiotics have a greater risk of developing vaginal yeast infections. Other side effects can be more serious, affecting the kidneys, bone marrow, and liver. Blood tests allow doctors to monitor how antibiotics are affecting the body. Antibiotics, like cephalosporins, clindamycin, or fluoroquinolones, used to treat <i>Clostridium difficile</i> can result in a condition called colitis, inflammation of the large intestine.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infection Treatment

Are there alternative treatments for typhus?
While you may be able to use other remedies to ease the symptoms of typhus, you still need an antibi...
How do I manage my erysipelas on a daily basis?
Even after you start antibiotic treatment for your erysipelas, it takes time for your symptoms to go...
Are there alternative treatments for bacterial infections?
There are alternative treatment options for several types of bacterial infections that may be benefi...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dysentery?
The most important thing to keep in mind when caring for someone with dysentery is to make sure the ...