How common is flesh-eating bacteria?

An infection by flesh-eating bacteria, or necrotizing fasciitis, is rare. However, Streptococcus pyogenes, also known as Group A Streptococcus (GAS), is a very common bacterium. When S. pyogenes gets into your body through a wound like a cut, it can cause the invasive GAS disease necrotizing fasciitis, which kills tissue at a rapid pace. Between 9,000 and 11,500 Americans contract an invasive GAS disease each year and about 6% to 7% of those develop necrotizing fasciitis.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infection Treatment

How do I manage my diphtheria on a daily basis?
Since diphtheria is no longer infectious after 48 hours of antibiotics, the primary daily manage...
Are there alternative treatments for vestibular neuronitis?
The standard method of treating vestibular neuronitis is to manage the symptoms of the disorder and ...
Can alternative treatments help secondary bacterial infections?
The most common alternative treatment for secondary bacterial infections is merely staying at home a...
Is there a cure for bacterial infections?
Yes, bacterial infections can be cured with antibiotics. There are some strains of bacteria, suc...