How often should I do stretching exercises for back pain?

Peggy Brill
Physical Therapy

Regular stretching is key to good back and spine health. In this video, physical therapist Peggy Brill describes the ideal routine.

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Stretching exercises for back pain are generally held for 30 to 60 seconds. Performing two to five repetitions is usually all that is needed to experience a positive effect. During the first week or two, I typically ask my clients to commit to performing their stretches as often as possible (two to five times each day) to aggressively reduce their symptoms. It should always feel good to perform the stretching exercises, so this really shouldn't be a hard sell, and you should feel that your pain has decreased as a result. After your symptoms have abated, you can cut down on the frequency of stretching and find the ideal number of times needed to keep your pain at bay. I recommend stretching first thing in the morning and last thing before bed, as most people's back pain is aggravated during sleep.
Fixing You: Back Pain: Self-Treatment for Sciatica, Bulging and Herniated Disks, Stenosis, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

Back pain is often due to larger problems, such as poor walking habits or pelvic muscle tightness , that create vulnerabilities in the spine. This is why most people have trouble fixing their...

Continue Learning about Back Pain

Signs Your Back Pain May Be Something More Serious
Back pain is a common problem, affecting 80 percent of people at some point in their lives. But not everyone's discomfort is the same and some signs a...
How is chronic low back pain treated?
Claude Borowsky, MDClaude Borowsky, MD
To treat chronic back pain coming from the lumbar discs, modifying lifestyle is often the most signi...
Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Back
Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your BackExercises That Won’t Hurt Your BackExercises That Won’t Hurt Your BackExercises That Won’t Hurt Your Back
Strengthen your back to prevent injuries.
Back Pain Busters You Can Do at Home
Back Pain Busters You Can Do at Home