How many people suffer from back pain?

With about 65 million Americans suffering from back pain, it's the second most common reason for medical visits. The way the odds play out, you're likely to have about one serious episode of back pain for every 15 years of your life (serious is defined by pain severe enough that you seek medical attention). Divorces seem to run on about the same schedule for some people.

Luckily, in only 5 percent of cases (of the back pain, not the divorces) does the pain keep a person from all daily activities. And nearly 95 percent of lower back pain can be treated without surgery. Even more can be prevented by doing exercises that center around the pelvis and abdomen.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Back Pain

How Does Posture Affect Back Pain?
How Does Posture Affect Back Pain?
How Can I Tell If I Have a Herniated Disc or Spinal Stenosis?
What Does Smoking Have to Do with Herniated Discs?
How Can I Determine What Kind of Back Pain I Have?