How many people suffer from back pain?

With about 65 million Americans suffering from back pain, it's the second most common reason for medical visits. The way the odds play out, you're likely to have about one serious episode of back pain for every 15 years of your life (serious is defined by pain severe enough that you seek medical attention). Divorces seem to run on about the same schedule for some people.

Luckily, in only 5 percent of cases (of the back pain, not the divorces) does the pain keep a person from all daily activities. And nearly 95 percent of lower back pain can be treated without surgery. Even more can be prevented by doing exercises that center around the pelvis and abdomen.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Back Pain

Ease Lower Back Pain with These Yoga Moves
Want your back to feel good? Then you gotta do all the right moves. And the best moves for your back just might be yoga moves. In a study, people who...
Do I have a higher risk of back pain with a lower limb loss?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
The back strain of having a lower limb prosthetic device is common. In a study reported in the Archi...
The Worst Exercises for Back Pain
The Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back Pain
Certain workouts can aggravate back pain. Try these instead.
How Can I Determine What Kind of Back Pain I Have?