Back Pain 101
Whether it's a dull muscle ache in the lower back or a severe sharp pain brought on when you try to bend over, back pain is a very common ailment. Most often back pain results from strained muscles and ligaments that surround the spine, but it can also be caused by structural problems or an injury. Fortunately, there are treatment options for back pain, and understanding the causes and symptoms is key to preventing it in the first place.Take our back pain quiz
Causes and Cures for Back Pain
Back pain can be caused by a number of problems, from osteoarthritis to muscle strain to a slipped disc. The pain can feel sharp and stabbing, dull and aching, or like it's radiating down your legs. Before seeking treatment, pay attention to your symptoms so you can clearly describe them to the doctor.Learn about different types of back pain
Walk THIS Way to Ease
AskMDGot low back pain? Find out more about your symptoms
The number of Americans who experience
low-back pain at any given time
American Chiropractic Association
Back Pain Q&As
Ronald Tolchin, DO
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Baptist Hospital of Miami
What types of medications can help relieve back pain?
There are several different types of medications that may be prescribed to treat your back pain. Anti-inflammatory drugs may be used . . .
- Q Do I have a higher risk of back pain with a lower limb loss?
- Q What are the most common causes of back pain?
- Q Should I get an MRI for back pain?
- Q How long does lower back pain usually last?
- Q What are the risks of spinal injections?
- Q Does spinal pain affect children differently than adults?
- Q How serious is acute low back pain (LBP)?
- Q How is chronic low back pain treated if the cause is not known?
- Q What should I ask my doctor about my back pain?
- Q What types of complementary medicine can help treat chronic low back pain?
Recent Back Pain Articles
Before considering surgery, try these treatment strategies for eliminating back pain.
Ease Lower Back Pain with These Yoga Moves 5 Ways to Prevent Back Pain 7 Surprising Fixes for Back Pain 6 Simple Things You Can Do to Ease Back Pain Now See All Articles