Back Pain 101
Whether it's a dull muscle ache in the lower back or a severe sharp pain brought on when you try to bend over, back pain is a very common ailment. Most often back pain results from strained muscles and ligaments that surround the spine, but it can also be caused by structural problems or an injury. Fortunately, there are treatment options for back pain, and understanding the causes and symptoms is key to preventing it in the first place.Take our back pain quiz
Causes and Cures for Back Pain
Back pain can be caused by a number of problems, from osteoarthritis to muscle strain to a slipped disc. The pain can feel sharp and stabbing, dull and aching, or like it's radiating down your legs. Before seeking treatment, pay attention to your symptoms so you can clearly describe them to the doctor.Learn about different types of back pain
Walk THIS Way to Ease
AskMDGot low back pain? Find out more about your symptoms
The number of Americans who experience
low-back pain at any given time
American Chiropractic Association
Back Pain Q&As
North American Spine Society (NASS)
Does physical therapy help treat back pain?
Physical therapy treatments like ultrasound, electrical stimulation, traction, mobilization, and chiropractic manipulation can provide temporary relief for acute low back pain (LBP), but . . .
- Q What is the difference between back pain and slipped disc pain?
- Q What are the most common causes of back pain?
- Q What could happen if I let acute back pain go untreated?
- Q Why is my back pain worse in the morning?
- Q What types of complementary medicine can help treat chronic low back pain?
- Q What medical procedures can be used to treat chronic low back pain?
- Q What medications are used to treat chronic low back pain?
- Q How can physical therapy help treat chronic low back pain?
- Q How is chronic low back pain treated?
- Q How is chronic low back pain treated if the cause is not known?
Recent Back Pain Articles
Before considering surgery, try these treatment strategies for eliminating back pain.
6 Simple Things You Can Do to Ease Back Pain Now 7 Surprising Fixes for Back Pain Ease Lower-Back Pain with This Step Exercises to Build a Better Back See All Articles