What are some tips for doing the all-fours rocking stretch exercise?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
When performing the all-fours rocking stretch exercise (which passively restores normal mechanics of the shoulder, neck, and arms), your head will typically extend and your neck vertebrae will compress, resulting in your eyes looking forward or up while rocking backward onto your heels. Have a friend help you correct your form by visually monitoring your neck as you perform this exercise. They should make sure your neck remains long in the back. An easy way to check this is to put the fingers of one hand at the base of the neck and the fingers from the other hand at the base of the skull. As you rock backward onto your heels, the distance between the fingers of both hands should not decrease.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Maintaining ideal posture and tempo during this exercise is very important. Some common errors to avoid include:

• Rocking back and forth too quickly- it should be a nice slow and controlled tempo to allow your muscles to stretch
  • Rounding your upper back (like a hunch back)- keep you back flat throughout the entire movement
  • Lifting your head and chin- instead allow your chin to move towards your chest to stretch the back of your neck
  • Arching your lower back- don’t allow your low-back to create an excessive “c” curvature.

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
What exercise can I do to strengthen my lats?
A great exercise for strengthening the lats is the seated lat pull-down.  In addition to challengi...
How do I do the windshield wipers exercise for back problems?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The windshield wipers exercise restores normal range of motion and motor control to the hip join...
What Is a Good Seated Stretch for My Back?