What is Kernicterus?

Kernicterus is a type of brain damage that can result from high levels of bilirubin in a baby’s blood. It can cause athetoid cerebral palsy and hearing loss. Kernicterus also causes problems with vision and teeth and sometimes can cause intellectual disabilities. Any baby with untreated jaundice is at risk for kernicterus.

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
Is my baby's pacifier contaminated with germs that can make her sick?
Shari GreenShari Green
Yes... For example, let me cite two studies at least that suggest "Yes"......according to a study do...
How should I take my newborn's temperature?
Dr. Charles I. Schwartz, MDDr. Charles I. Schwartz, MD
Many parents choose the axillary (armpit) as a screening tool to check their baby’s temperature. The...
What causes jaundice?
Newborn jaundice is usually caused by the newborn's inability to effectively clear bilirubin which i...