How can I tell if my baby is sick?

Your baby can’t tell you that he’s not feeling well, but he will show you by changing his normal behavior. Sometimes the changes are subtle and sometimes more obvious, but changes from your baby’s normal behavior and routine will be your tip-off that something may not be right. He may drink less, cry more, sleep more or less, breathe faster, have a fever, or just not look right to you. Babies are more susceptible to serious infections that can progress rapidly, so it is very important to call your doctor right away if you notice anything unusual. Trust your instincts. You know your baby’s behaviors better than anyone else, so let your pediatrician know if something doesn’t seem right.
Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...
Infants cannot directly communicate their complaints so it is important to know some basic signs to recognize illness. A simple vital sign to take at home is a temperature which is most accurately measured rectally. You can also do a simple physical exam. Check for rashes on the body or inside the mouth. Look for any evidence of difficulty breathing such as wheezing, cough or abormal chest movements. Babies will likely have trouble eating when they dont feel well which will manifest as vomiting or simply refusal to eat. Lastly, general fussiness or decreased energy levels can be a sign of an illness.

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
Should I disinfect my baby’s umbilical stump at every diaper change?
No, not during every diaper change. Just keep the stump clean and dry by wiping with clean gauze and...
What do I do if my baby's skin or eyes are yellow-ish?
Call your pediatrician so they can check your baby. Some yellow color can be normal, while others ca...
What are some hygiene tips to help protect my baby from infections?
Good hand washing is the key. However bacteria is prevalent in the community and some exposure will ...