How can I tell if my baby is sick?

Infants cannot directly communicate their complaints so it is important to know some basic signs to recognize illness. A simple vital sign to take at home is a temperature which is most accurately measured rectally. You can also do a simple physical exam. Check for rashes on the body or inside the mouth. Look for any evidence of difficulty breathing such as wheezing, cough or abormal chest movements. Babies will likely have trouble eating when they dont feel well which will manifest as vomiting or simply refusal to eat. Lastly, general fussiness or decreased energy levels can be a sign of an illness.
Your baby can’t tell you that he’s not feeling well, but he will show you by changing his normal behavior. Sometimes the changes are subtle and sometimes more obvious, but changes from your baby’s normal behavior and routine will be your tip-off that something may not be right. He may drink less, cry more, sleep more or less, breathe faster, have a fever, or just not look right to you. Babies are more susceptible to serious infections that can progress rapidly, so it is very important to call your doctor right away if you notice anything unusual. Trust your instincts. You know your baby’s behaviors better than anyone else, so let your pediatrician know if something doesn’t seem right.
Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
What should I do if the baby is has tremors?
If it's short in duration it could be the Moro reflex. If the shaking lasts longer than a few second...
How do I take my baby’s temperature?
Julie A. Gustin, MDJulie A. Gustin, MD
If you're concerned about a fever in your baby, how you take their temperature is somewhat depen...
What causes jaundice?
Newborn jaundice is usually caused by the newborn's inability to effectively clear bilirubin which i...