What are the signs of acid reflux in babies?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Signs of acid reflux in babies can be as easy to spot as your baby crying when they spit up. On the other hand, signs of reflux can be more subtle, like you baby doing frequent small feeds. Other possibilities are arching away from the bottle or simply not seeming as happy as they used to after a feed. If you think your baby has reflux, talk to your pediatrician.

Some things your pediatrician may suggest are thickening feeds with rice cereal and elevating your baby's head for thirty minutes after feeds. If these do not work, your pediatrician may try medication. Medication does not stop your baby from spitting up, it just takes out the acid so your baby does not hurt or develop feeding aversion and continues to gain appropriate weight.

You can usually get some signs from your child that there's a problem with acid reflux, depending on the age. Babies may arch their backs, trying to "get away" from the acid. They may also wheeze, cough, or have a hoarse cry, as acid is irritating to the throat and the voice box.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Baby Feeding & Nutrition

Please Do NOT Make Your Own Baby Formula
You may have seen recipes circulating online for homemade baby formula. Don't try them. Making your own baby formula simply isn't safe. I say this out...
Is it ok to feed cereal and fruit to an infant (14 wks)?
Kate MyersonKate Myerson
The reason we do not recommend feeding infants solid foods like cereal or fruit before 4 or 6 months...
When can I start to spoon-feed my baby?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
When your baby is four to six months old, you can start feeding her with a spoon. Your baby will...
What can my baby drink besides formula or breast milk?
What can my baby drink besides formula or breast milk? Your baby should drink only formula or breast...