Do I need to warm the bottle of formula or breast milk for my baby?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Room temperature formula is perfectly safe for babies and easier for you. Try giving your baby a bottle of room temperature formula and consider yourself lucky if they like it.

For breast milk bottles, this is a little trickier. Unless you just pumped the milk, it has likely been frozen or chilled. If it is cold and not just room temperature, your baby will probably not like it and you may have to warm the milk. 

If you do warm the bottle, never use the microwave. It is dangerous and your baby can have serious burns.

Continue Learning about Baby Feeding & Nutrition

Please Do NOT Make Your Own Baby Formula
You may have seen recipes circulating online for homemade baby formula. Don't try them. Making your own baby formula simply isn't safe. I say this out...
How can I make homemade rice cereal?
Cheryl TallmanCheryl Tallman
Rice is easily digested and has low allergen aspects, so it is commonly recommended as the first...
Should I feed my baby every time she cries?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
You do not need to feed your baby every time she cries. If your baby is recently fed, check her pamp...
What are the signs of acid reflux in babies?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Signs of acid reflux in babies can be as easy to spot as your baby crying when they spit up. On the ...