What are the types of hearing screening required for newborns?

Many states now require newborns to have their hearing tested prior to discharge from the well baby nursery.  One of two tests can be done.  The first an otoacustic emission test which evaluates the sounds our ears make when they hear an external sound.  The second test is a brainstem evoked potential which is looking at the electronic brain waves produced as the ear and then brain "hears" a sound.  The emission test is quicker and easier to do but has a fair number of false failures that require retesting to be sure the baby hears. 

Continue Learning about Baby Development

Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
A bit of baby talk and mimicking a child’s sounds during the earliest months of life makes an infant feel connected and understood and stimulates an i...
How can I use my voice to get my baby's attention?
Saint Agnes Medical CenterSaint Agnes Medical Center
To use your voice to get your baby's attention, try speaking to the baby in a high-pitched baby voic...
Why don't my baby's eyes move together?
For the first few weeks of life, often the eyes do not move together. Sometimes one or both eyes wil...
Can Physical Activity Improve a Child's Mental Development?