What are the types of hearing screening required for newborns?

Many states now require newborns to have their hearing tested prior to discharge from the well baby nursery.  One of two tests can be done.  The first an otoacustic emission test which evaluates the sounds our ears make when they hear an external sound.  The second test is a brainstem evoked potential which is looking at the electronic brain waves produced as the ear and then brain "hears" a sound.  The emission test is quicker and easier to do but has a fair number of false failures that require retesting to be sure the baby hears. 

Continue Learning about Baby Development

Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
A bit of baby talk and mimicking a child’s sounds during the earliest months of life makes an infant feel connected and understood and stimulates an i...
How will I know if my baby is ready to walk?
The pediatrician will check to see if your baby is ready for walking by looking at her parachute...
How can I best nurture my baby’s brain development?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Early loving attachments for infants actually affect the way their brain grows. Talking, rocking, si...
Can Physical Activity Improve a Child's Mental Development?