What type of cues does my baby send to me?

Like a bat flying through the darkness or a dolphin navigating murky depths, from birth, your child emits a constant stream of sonarlike pings, or cues -- in the form of sounds, squirms, eye contact, and so forth -- letting you know what he wants, craves, and needs. When you respond, he feels content and secure. Understanding your child's pings is instinctive: One of the first things that a mother learns is how to distinguish different types of crying -- "I'm hungry," "I'm wet," "I'm tired," "I just want a little TLC" -- and respond appropriately. This call-and-response is reinforced by baby's actions (Baby cries, Mom picks up, Baby stops crying). Pings can be nonverbal, too: facial expressions or body language. (Think of the "I've gotta pee" dance.)

Continue Learning about Baby Care Essentials

How often should I bathe a baby?
Babies may not get dirty, but they still need to get clean. Parents can make bathing safe and fu...
What should I do if my newborn falls off furniture?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Even though newborns rarely roll over on their own, they can wiggle and squirm, which is how they so...
What's the Best Way to Prevent Having a Picky Eating Toddler?
How Do I Get a Newborn Baby to Sleep?
How Do I Get a Newborn Baby to Sleep?