Is it bad to hold my breath when I workout?

You should be careful with this, because if you hold it for too long, you may end up passing out! There is actually a maneuver called the Valsalva maneuver which occurs when a person tries to exhale forcibly with a closed windpipe so that no air exits through the mouth and nose. This maneuver impedes the return of venous blood to the heart, and can also dramatically increase blood pressure. So it should be avoided.

The proper way to breathe while resistance training is to inhale as you’re bringing the resistance back to its resting position, and exhale as you’re working hardest against the resistance. 

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

how can i prevent injuries while exercising ?
Depending on the type of activity in which you will be participating, be sure to have a good stretch...
under what circumstances should i call my doctor while exercising ?
This is rather general, but the worst-case scenarios are when you feel chest pain while exercising, ...
how can i prevent pain in my legs when i walk ?
Benjamin Eseroma Benjamin Eseroma
If you are having pain while you walk it is probably due to muscle imbalances. You need to stretch r...
why does my neck hurt when i do crunches ?
Your neck should not hurt during crunches. Many individuals will demonstrate movement compensation d...