How do other illnesses affect avian flu?

One of the dangers of avian flu is that few people if any have a natural immunity to it, but chronic diseases, such as diabetes, lung disease, heart disease, or kidney problems, increase your risk of getting any type of influenza, including avian flu, and of developing complications. Illnesses that require you to be on medications that suppress the immune system also increase your risk, as do diseases that affect the immune system such as HIV.

Continue Learning about Avian Flu

What concerns scientists about bird flu?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Despite the difficulty of bird flu's transmission to people from birds and from person to person, pu...
Should I talk to my doctor about my avian flu symptoms?
If you have been in contact with poultry, wild birds, or an infected person, and you have flu sy...
Is there a cure for avian flu?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Avian flu (bird flu) is often treated with antiviral drugs, which attack the virus, preventing it fr...
What areas of the world are most affected by avian flu?
So far, the areas of the world that have been most affected by avian flu (bird flu) are Asia and cou...