Do antibiotics help to treat avian flu?

Antibiotics can only be used to treat bacterial infections that may be complications of the avian flu like pneumonia or bronchitis. Antibiotics cannot treat the virus itself. Antivirals that are used to shorten the course and less the severity of the common seasonal influenza viruses may be used (such as oseltamivir and zanamivir).

Continue Learning about Avian Flu

How does avian flu affect the body?
Avian flu, like other types of influenza, is caused by a virus that infects the respiratory system. ...
What concerns scientists about bird flu?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Despite the difficulty of bird flu's transmission to people from birds and from person to person, pu...
What is avian flu?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Bird flu (also known as avian flu) is a very infectious disease that has moved through bird populati...
Can I get avian flu even if I had a flu shot?
Each year, researchers decide what strains of influenza are most likely to become widespread and pro...