What stimulants trigger atrial fibrillation?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Different foods, beverages, medications, and recreational drugs are stimulants and can trigger atrial fibrillation. The most common offenders include:

- Over-the-counter cold, cough, and sinusitis medications that contain pseudoephedrine. This ingredient is known to cause the development of arrhythmias.
- Caffeine can cause your heartbeat to speed up your nervous system. Caffeine is a known trigger of atrial fibrillation. If you mix caffeine with a cold medicine, you have an increased risk of problems.
- Nicotine is another stimulant that can make your heart speed up. Over time, it may cause arrhythmias and atrial fibrillation.
- Recreational drugs and diet pills can also speed up your heart and increase the chance of atrial fibrillation. 

Continue Learning about Atrial Fibrillation

Fitbit Helps Doctors Treat Heart Condition
Wearable fitness trackers are great tools to help you get in shape—they can track your steps and tell you how many calories you’ve burned. Some tracke...
Can diabetes cause atrial fibrillation?
Dr. Douglas E. Severance, MDDr. Douglas E. Severance, MD
A common complication of diabetes is heart disease, and heart disease can lead to developing atrial ...
What should I avoid if I have atrial fibrillation?
If you have been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, it's important to know that you do have some co...
At Risk for Irregular Heartbeat? Skip the Cocktail