What is the purpose of anxiety?

Anxiety is positive in many ways, because it motivates us to live life with purpose; however, when anxiety becomes overwhelming, it can be disruptive. In this video, neuropsychologist Sanam Hafeez, PsyD, discusses the purpose of stress and anxiety.
Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry
All of our emotions serve a purpose. Anxiety comes to tell you that there is something dangerous in your environment that may be a threat to you, and the emotion mobilizes you either to stay and fight or to run for your life. When your brain senses danger, your sympathetic nervous system gets triggered. This is the system in the body that is responsible for your fear response and is essentially the way your body prepares to defend itself.

The activation of this system leads to the production of adrenaline, which causes an increase in your heart rate and the strength of your heartbeat. This speeds up the rate at which blood flows and directs the blood to places it is needed the most in order to help you flee or fight (for example, to the large muscles in your legs and arms so you can move more quickly).
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder: Using DBT to Regain Control of Your Emotions and Your Life (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook)

Even if you've just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, it's likely that you've been living with it for a long time. You've probably already developed your own ways of coping with recurring...

Continue Learning about Anxiety

How to Stop a Panic Attack in 5 Simple Steps
You know when you’re having a panic attack—heart racing, tunnel vision, gasping for air and control slipping away. When the fear finally passes, you m...
How are anxiety disorders typically treated?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Treatments for anxiety disorders include the following: Medication: Short-term or long-term trea...
6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child
6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child
Don’t let your child suffer from the most common mental illness in the U.S.
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How do I explain my issues with anxiety to my children?