What is the purpose of anxiety?

Anxiety is positive in many ways, because it motivates us to live life with purpose; however, when anxiety becomes overwhelming, it can be disruptive. In this video, neuropsychologist Sanam Hafeez, PsyD, discusses the purpose of stress and anxiety.
Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry
All of our emotions serve a purpose. Anxiety comes to tell you that there is something dangerous in your environment that may be a threat to you, and the emotion mobilizes you either to stay and fight or to run for your life. When your brain senses danger, your sympathetic nervous system gets triggered. This is the system in the body that is responsible for your fear response and is essentially the way your body prepares to defend itself.

The activation of this system leads to the production of adrenaline, which causes an increase in your heart rate and the strength of your heartbeat. This speeds up the rate at which blood flows and directs the blood to places it is needed the most in order to help you flee or fight (for example, to the large muscles in your legs and arms so you can move more quickly).
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder: Using DBT to Regain Control of Your Emotions and Your Life (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook)

Even if you've just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, it's likely that you've been living with it for a long time. You've probably already developed your own ways of coping with recurring...

Continue Learning about Anxiety

How to Survive the Holidays When You Have Social Anxiety
The to-do lists are long, the calendar is full and to make things even more challenging, like 15 million other American adults, you have social anxiet...
What is test anxiety?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
These days it seems for many kids -- even if they've studied hard and done their homework -- whe...
9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying
9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying
Anxious, stressed, overwhelmed? Check out these scientifically backed ways to boost mood and worry less.
How Can I Avoid Being Overly Anxious in Every Day Situations I Encounter?