What does the term ORAC mean?

Janet  Brill, PhD, RD
ORAC stands for Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity, which is a lab technique used to quantify the total antioxidant capacity of a food. The test is done by placing a sample of the food in a test tube (for example, blueberries), combined with certain molecules that generate free radical activity. (Free radicals are molecules that have an unpaired electron and can cause damage to DNA.) After some time, they measure how well the blueberries protected the vulnerable molecules from oxidation. The less free radical damage there is, the higher the antioxidant capacity of the food, and therefore the higher the ORAC score. 

Continue Learning about Antioxidants

Eat These "Top 3" Antioxidant-Rich Veggies
Anyone who's been to the Saturday farmers market knows there are lots of veggies out there to choose from. But do you know what ones are richest in an...
What are isoflavones used for?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Isoflavones are used by plants to help defend the plant and has been seen to hold health benefits fo...
What is nasunin?
Nasunin, the antioxidant found in the purple skin of eggplants, is a potent antioxidant and free rad...
Are Polyphenols Good for My Health?
Are Polyphenols Good for My Health?