What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?

If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high, her blood is clotting too slowly and she is at risk of bleeding.  If, on the other hand, her PT/INR test result is too low, her dose of warfarin may not be high enough to protect her blood from clotting. In that case, her warfarin dose should be increased. Your mother's doctor will increase or decrease the dose according to her PT/INR test result.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...
What are side effects of anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Anticoagulants increase the risk of serious, even fatal, bleeding. Other side effects of warfarin an...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...