What activities should I avoid if I'm taking warfarin?

Warfarin (Coumadin) is an anticoagulant or "blood thinner." Anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting. An anticoagulant helps reduce the risk of clots forming in the blood.

You should not participate in contact sports or other activities that may result in a serious fall or other injury when on warfarin. For example, you should avoid soccer, skiing, hockey, bicycling without a helmet, etc.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you have a prosthetic heart valve, apixaban and rivaroxaban may not be good options for you. If y...
What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...