Can I take Pradaxa if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

Pradaxa may pose serious risks to pregnant and breastfeeding women and their babies. It may increase bleeding and may be especially dangerous during labor and childbirth, increasing the risk of excessive bleeding and even stroke.

The risks are not completely known, however, because Pradaxa has not been well studied in pregnant and breastfeeding women. If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, discuss the risks and benefits of Pradaxa with your doctor.

As for breastfeeding, it is not known whether Pradaxa passes into breast milk. But many medications do, so there is concern for the safety of babies breastfed by mothers who are taking Pradaxa. You'll want to discuss these safety issues with your doctor so that you can come up with the best solution for your health and the health of your baby.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What is an anticoagulant?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
An anticoagulant (anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting) or "blood thinner"...
Who should take an anticoagulant?
People who should regularly take an anticoagulant, or blood thinner, include those who have had a DV...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you have a prosthetic heart valve, apixaban and rivaroxaban may not be good options for you. If y...