Can I take Pradaxa if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

Pradaxa may pose serious risks to pregnant and breastfeeding women and their babies. It may increase bleeding and may be especially dangerous during labor and childbirth, increasing the risk of excessive bleeding and even stroke.

The risks are not completely known, however, because Pradaxa has not been well studied in pregnant and breastfeeding women. If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, discuss the risks and benefits of Pradaxa with your doctor.

As for breastfeeding, it is not known whether Pradaxa passes into breast milk. But many medications do, so there is concern for the safety of babies breastfed by mothers who are taking Pradaxa. You'll want to discuss these safety issues with your doctor so that you can come up with the best solution for your health and the health of your baby.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...
When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...
What are side effects of anticoagulants?
Anticoagulants increase the risk of serious, even fatal, bleeding. Other side effects of warfarin an...