Should I avoid foods with vitamin K if I'm taking warfarin?

Warfarin (Coumadin) is an anticoagulant or "blood thinner." Anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting.  An anticoagulant helps reduce the risk of clots forming in the blood. Many foods you eat have vitamin K in them and vitamin K helps your body make clots. Foods that are high in vitamin K include leafy green vegetables, and some peas and beans. Foods with vitamin K do not need to be avoided if you are on warfarin, but it is important for you to keep your diet consistent.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
What are side effects of anticoagulants?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Normal side effects of anticoagulants can include: Bruising Prolonged bleeding from small cuts ...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...