Are there side effects with warfarin (Coumadin) for atrial fibrillation?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Warfarin (Coumadin) is a blood thinner that is prescribed to prevent stroke in atrial fibrillation. It is an important anti-coagulant that can have some serious side effects if you take too much or too little. Side effects of warfarin can include the risk of dangerous bleeding and hemorrhagic stroke. Taking too little of warfarin can cause increased blood clotting and stroke. Other side effects of warfarin include drug-food interactions, drug-drug interactions and interactions with natural dietary supplements. Side effects of warfarin that need immediate attention include bleeding, bloody or black stools, itching, rashes, swelling of the face, swelling of the arms and legs, chest pain, flu-like symptoms, fever, and diarrhea. Talk openly with your doctor about warfarin and be sure to see your doctor regularly for regular blood work to check your levels of warfarin.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What is an anticoagulant?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
An anticoagulant is a medication that helps to prevent clots from forming in your blood. This type...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
Is warfarin a safe drug for pregnancy?
No - warfarin crosses the placenta barrier and has an anticoagulant effect in the developing fetus. ...