Are there side effects with warfarin (Coumadin) for atrial fibrillation?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Warfarin (Coumadin) is a blood thinner that is prescribed to prevent stroke in atrial fibrillation. It is an important anti-coagulant that can have some serious side effects if you take too much or too little. Side effects of warfarin can include the risk of dangerous bleeding and hemorrhagic stroke. Taking too little of warfarin can cause increased blood clotting and stroke. Other side effects of warfarin include drug-food interactions, drug-drug interactions and interactions with natural dietary supplements. Side effects of warfarin that need immediate attention include bleeding, bloody or black stools, itching, rashes, swelling of the face, swelling of the arms and legs, chest pain, flu-like symptoms, fever, and diarrhea. Talk openly with your doctor about warfarin and be sure to see your doctor regularly for regular blood work to check your levels of warfarin.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you have a prosthetic heart valve, apixaban and rivaroxaban may not be good options for you. If y...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet ...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...