How does anthrax affect the body?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The effects of anthrax may depend on how it is acquired—through the skin, lungs, or stomach. Symptoms may include blisters, bumps, or an ulcer (on the skin), fever, aches, sweats, and headache (through inhalation), nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and swollen neck glands (swallowing infected meat). There is overlap between these modes of contracting the illness and the symptoms as well. More serious signs include shock, bloody diarrhea, vomiting blood, difficulty breathing, and intestinal inflammation. In serious cases, anthrax can lead to inflammation of the areas surrounding the brain, and spinal cord, causing severe bleeding. This illness could also lead to death.

Continue Learning about Anthrax

What is inhalation anthrax?
Inhalation, or pulmonary, anthrax happens when you inhale anthrax spores. Although symptoms may be m...
How do other illnesses affect anthrax?
Anthrax is a serious illness that can cause many complications in the body. People must talk with a ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my anthrax symptoms?
You should definitely talk to your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms that may be an indication...
How do medications treat anthrax?
Antibiotics, such as doxycycline or ciprofloxacin, are used to treat anthrax. They attack the bacter...