How does anthrax affect the body?

The effects of anthrax may depend on how it is acquired—through the skin, lungs, or stomach. Symptoms may include blisters, bumps, or an ulcer (on the skin), fever, aches, sweats, and headache (through inhalation), nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and swollen neck glands (swallowing infected meat). There is overlap between these modes of contracting the illness and the symptoms as well. More serious signs include shock, bloody diarrhea, vomiting blood, difficulty breathing, and intestinal inflammation. In serious cases, anthrax can lead to inflammation of the areas surrounding the brain, and spinal cord, causing severe bleeding. This illness could also lead to death.

Continue Learning about Anthrax

Should I talk to my doctor about my anthrax symptoms?
You should definitely talk to your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms that may be an indication...
Does anthrax affect children differently than adults?
The effects of anthrax are the same for children and adults. However, the affects of the treatment f...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with anthrax?
When caring for someone with anthrax, remember to offer both emotional and physical support. Anthrax...
How common is anthrax?
Anthrax is uncommon in the United States. There have only been 22 confirmed cases since December 5, ...