When can I stop Helidac Therapy?

You can stop Helidac Therapy only after all of your pills are gone. Helidac Therapy, a combination of three medications, treats peptic ulcers caused by bacterial infections. Even if you feel better in the middle of treatment, it is important you finish all 14 days of pills in order to prevent your infection from coming back. If you stop early, the bacteria that caused your ulcer may become resistant to antibiotics.

However, you should stop taking your pills and call your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following serious side effects:
  • numbness, pain or tingling in your hands or feet
  • headache or blurred vision
  • seizures
  • dizziness
  • difficulty with speaking or coordination
  • ringing in the ears
  • confusion or agitation
  • vaginal itching and/or discharge
  • fever, sore throat or other signs of infection
  • bloody or tarry stools
  • nausea or vomiting
  • itching, hives or a rash

Continue Learning about Antacid

What kind of antacid should I take for indigestion?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
An over-the-counter antacid like TUMS works fine for indigestion. There are fancier and more exp...
What should I avoid while taking antacids?
Until you know how you will react to antacids, you should not drive or operate heavy machinery. Cert...
Is it OK to take antacids daily to treat acid reflux?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Some people with acid reflux get into the habit of taking over-the-counter antacids daily to prevent...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?