How are anger control problems diagnosed?

Your regular doctor, psychiatrist, or psychologist can diagnose an anger control problem. Symptoms you are experiencing, as well as how you are feeling, will help your doctor diagnosis anger control problems. In addition, your behaviors, specifically how you deal with your angry feelings, will assist your doctor in identifying if your anger control is a problem. These individuals will look at how your anger affects you and those around you to determine if there is a problem with anger control.

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Anger is a daily experience encountered in a number of interpersonal, family, and occupational situations. When Anger turns fury, rage, hostility, aggression and violence, in an uncontrollable manner and/or on a consistent basis, over time, it becomes a clinical disorder with symptoms and traits identified in the DSM-IV-TR Manual.

Continue Learning about Anger Management

What Your Job Can Do to Your Heart
What Your Job Can Do to Your Heart
The funny thing about your heart not being in your job is that your job finds a way to affect your heart anyway. When researchers looked at men who fe...
What are some triggers that affect anger control?
Triggers are things - people, situations, stress - that cause your feelings of anger to escalate. Th...
How do I become more aware of where my anger comes from?
Self-monitoring is a good tool for becoming aware of anger issues. It usually takes the form of ...
How Can I Calm Down When I'm Angry?
How Can I Calm Down When I'm Angry?