What type of anesthesia is used for a breast reduction?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
We use general anesthesia for our breast reduction surgeries. This is an invasive surgery which requires control of the patient and her airway. General anesthesia maintains the patients vitals, allows for no movements on the table, and protects the airway. Either a laryngeal mask airway or an endotracheal tube may be used depending on anesthesiologist choice and the patient's medical history (gastric reflux, obesity, short airway, difficult airway).  Inhalant anesthestics are given with fentanyl, and diprivian in the majority of cases. 

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

Can I choose the anesthesiologist for my surgery?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
Most patients cannot choose their anesthesiologist. People generally choose a surgeon or hospital in...
How risky is anesthesia?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Due to advances in patient safety, the risks of anesthesia are very low. Over the past 25 years, ane...
What type of anesthesia is used with a tummy tuck?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Normally, general anesthesia is required for a tummy tuck surgery. An abdominoplasty is a reasonably...
When is general anesthesia used in dental procedures?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Complex dental treatments may require drugs that can induce "deep sedation," causing a loss of feeli...