What is informed consent for general anesthesia?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

The informed consent for general anesthesia is vital for safeguarding the patient, surgeon, anesthesiologist, medical team and hospital/ambulatory surgery center from errors, mistakes, and liability. The exact procedure or surgery will be included on the consent forms. The patient should read it carefully and answer all questions as accurate as possible including medical history, allergies, medications, and past surgical and anesthesia experiences. Pregnancy status and desire to become pregnant should also be included.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

How prevalent is anesthesia awareness?
Yael S. Varnado-Rhodes, MDYael S. Varnado-Rhodes, MD
Thankfully, the prevalence of anesthesia awareness is not very high; generally, less than 1% of the ...
How can anesthesia affect my child after surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Anesthesia affects each child differently. After surgery, your child may have nausea (feel like ...
What are possible side effects of anesthesia in children?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Although anesthetics can provide complete pain relief and loss of consciousness during an operation,...
Will I need general anesthesia for cataract surgery?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
General anesthesia is not required for cataract surgery but each patient is different. The anesthesi...