What is informed consent for general anesthesia?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

The informed consent for general anesthesia is vital for safeguarding the patient, surgeon, anesthesiologist, medical team and hospital/ambulatory surgery center from errors, mistakes, and liability. The exact procedure or surgery will be included on the consent forms. The patient should read it carefully and answer all questions as accurate as possible including medical history, allergies, medications, and past surgical and anesthesia experiences. Pregnancy status and desire to become pregnant should also be included.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

How long have doctors been using anesthesia during surgery?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The concept of anesthesia has been around since people first began performing surgery -- no matter h...
Will I need general anesthesia for cataract surgery?
Wayne BizerWayne Bizer
One of the greatest and safest aspects of cataract surgery is that it is painless and is performed w...
How will my child be given anesthesia before surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Anesthetic agents can be started in several ways. Most commonly in adults, anesthesia is started by ...
Where is the anesthesiologist during an operation?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
During an operation, the anesthesiologist stays in the operating room with the person all through th...