What can I expect from my anesthesiologist before outpatient surgery?

Before receiving anesthesia during ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery, your anesthesiologist or other anesthesia provider will interview you to gather the information needed to evaluate your general health. This interview may be a telephone call, a visit to the facility or the office. Laboratory tests may be ordered, and other medical, surgical and anesthetic records will be reviewed. You may be asked to fill out a questionnaire about your previous anesthetic experiences and medical conditions, allergies, medications or herbal products. If you have particular concerns, you should discuss them with your anesthesiologist.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

What are natural treatments for anesthesia side effects after surgery?
Dr. Toni VarelaDr. Toni Varela
Many anesthetics are metabolized by the liver, so it's generally a good idea to support the liver wi...
What is the goal of giving general anesthesia?
Dr. Michael Roizen, Chief Wellness Officer for the Cleveland Clinic, explains the goal of giving pat...
What is ambulatory anesthesia?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Ambulatory anesthesia is given to a patient in an ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery facility. Ambul...
What kind of anesthesia will I get for thyroid surgery?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Most thyroid operations are performed under general anesthesia, which means you will be totally asle...