Will I need general anesthesia for cataract surgery?

General anesthesia is not required for cataract surgery but each patient is different. The anesthesiologist will review the patient record and assess the health history to recommend the appropriate type of sedation or anesthesia. There are various methods of providing comfort during a cataract surgery. Intravenous medications can sedate you and provide comfort. Postop pain can be managed by oral medications, such as Acetaminophen. It is also possible to have local anesthesia for cataract surgery. A discussion with the patient, anesthesiologist, and surgeon is essential before surgery to develop the best surgical and anesthesia plan. 

One of the greatest and safest aspects of cataract surgery is that it is painless and is performed with the patient awake in almost all cases. There is no pain and it is safe without general anesthesia.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

How should anesthesia be monitored during surgery in a doctor's office?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Blood pressure, pulse rate, electrocardiogram (EKG) and oxygen levels are some of the important vita...
How can anesthesia affect my child after surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Anesthesia affects each child differently. After surgery, your child may have nausea (feel like ...
What job does an anesthesiologist perform during surgery?
During surgery, your anesthesiologist is responsible for managing vital life functions, including br...
What do I need to tell the anesthesiologist?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
It is very important to share your health history, past surgical experiences, especially previous ex...