Will I need general anesthesia for cataract surgery?

General anesthesia is not required for cataract surgery but each patient is different. The anesthesiologist will review the patient record and assess the health history to recommend the appropriate type of sedation or anesthesia. There are various methods of providing comfort during a cataract surgery. Intravenous medications can sedate you and provide comfort. Postop pain can be managed by oral medications, such as Acetaminophen. It is also possible to have local anesthesia for cataract surgery. A discussion with the patient, anesthesiologist, and surgeon is essential before surgery to develop the best surgical and anesthesia plan. 

One of the greatest and safest aspects of cataract surgery is that it is painless and is performed with the patient awake in almost all cases. There is no pain and it is safe without general anesthesia.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

How long can I stay under anesthesia during plastic surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
There has been much controversy as to the increased risk associated with remaining under general...
How should anesthesia be monitored during surgery in a doctor's office?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Blood pressure, pulse rate, electrocardiogram (EKG) and oxygen levels are some of the important vita...
Can I choose the anesthesiologist for my surgery?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
Most patients cannot choose their anesthesiologist. People generally choose a surgeon or hospital in...
How is general anesthesia administered?
General anesthesia is administered through an IV.