How will my child be given anesthesia before surgery?

Anesthetic agents can be started in several ways. Most commonly in adults, anesthesia is started by an intravenous injection so the patient becomes unconscious rapidly. This is also a method that can be used for children. Another method of beginning anesthesia is to let your child breathe anesthetic agents until losing consciousness. This is called a mask or inhalational induction. With this approach, your child will be asked to breathe through a "space mask" quietly, and no needle sticks will be performed until after your child is sound asleep. The choice of which method to begin anesthesia will be made by the anesthesiologist based on many factors. 

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

How can I help prevent having anesthesia awareness?
Here are some activities that can help you stay asleep during surgery.Meet your anesthesiologist. If...
How should anesthesia be monitored during surgery in a doctor's office?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Blood pressure, pulse rate, electrocardiogram (EKG) and oxygen levels are some of the important vita...
How is an anesthesia monitor used?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
Bispectral index monitoring(BIS) is used to assess the level of consciousness, depth of anesthesia. ...
What is ambulatory anesthesia?
Ambulatory anesthesia is given to a patient in an ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery facility. Ambul...