Why does my grandpa keep trying to "sneak" extra doses of his Demerol?

Your grandfather could have developed tolerance to Demerol, especially if he has been taking it for a long time or if he has been taking large doses. When people develop tolerance to a drug, they need to keep taking larger doses to get the same pain relief from the drug that they got when they first started taking it. Talk with your grandfather and ask him if this is what’s happening. He should talk with his doctor if it seems that he has developed tolerance to his medicine.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...