Why does my grandpa keep trying to "sneak" extra doses of his Demerol?

Your grandfather could have developed tolerance to Demerol, especially if he has been taking it for a long time or if he has been taking large doses. When people develop tolerance to a drug, they need to keep taking larger doses to get the same pain relief from the drug that they got when they first started taking it. Talk with your grandfather and ask him if this is what’s happening. He should talk with his doctor if it seems that he has developed tolerance to his medicine.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...