What is butalbital, acetaminophen, caffeine, and codeine phosphate?

Butalbital, acetaminophen, caffeine, and codeine phosphate is a prescription narcotic pain reliever. This medication comes in the form of capsules and is taken to relieve pain from tension headaches. Each component drug in this compound works differently to treat tension headaches: butalbital prevents muscle spasms that cause tension headaches; acetaminophen alleviates pain and lowers your body temperature; codeine relieves pains; and caffeine helps your blood flow by letting your blood vessels expand. Codeine is a narcotic pain reliever; acetaminophen is a pain reliever; butalbital is a barbiturate; and caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant. This combination drug is also marketed under the brand name Phrenilin with Caffeine and Codeine.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...