If I have an ulcer, can I take magnesium salicylate?

Magnesium salicylate in its tetrahydrate form, is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used to treat fever, pain, and some inflammatory diseases. If you have a peptic ulcer (a sore in the lining of the stomach or in the beginning of the small intestine), you probably shouldn’t take it or any other NSAID. However, if you and your doctor decide that its benefits outweigh the risks, be very careful when taking it and make sure to let your doctor know if your ulcer symptoms (which may include pain in the upper part of your abdomen, a feeling of fullness, nausea, or even weight loss) get worse.

It might be dangerous to take magnesium salicylate if you have an ulcer. This medication is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). While magnesium salicylate may help relieve your back pain, it can also cause increased stomach bleeding. It could even make your ulcer worse. To avoid stomach bleeding, you should use care when taking this drug if you:
  • are on steroid medications
  • are over the age of 60
  • have more than three alcoholic drinks per day
  • take other NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen or aspirin
  • use blood thinners
Check with your doctor to find out if magnesium salicylate tetrahydrate is safe for you to take.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...