What are the risks of taking hydrocodone and acetaminophen?

There are risks of taking hydrocodone-acetaminophen, including an addiction to the narcotic part of the medication, hydrocodone. This can be a mental or a physical addiction. There is always the risk that you might have a life-threatening allergic reaction to hydrocodone and acetaminophen. This medicine can make you drowsy, so do not operate machinery or do anything that would cause you injury while taking hydrocodone and acetaminophen. Constipation can cause serious problems, so it is very important to eat a diet high in fiber, to drink plenty of water and to talk to your doctor about taking a stool softener or laxative while on this medication. If you are pregnant while taking this medication, you could cause serious harm to the developing fetus. A newborn might suffer from withdrawal symptoms after delivery. Because you will be taking acetaminophen along with the narcotic hydrocodone, you will be putting your liver at risk if you take more than the prescribed amount.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...