When can I stop taking Percocet?

Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) is a medication used to treat moderate to severe pain. You can stop taking it when you no longer need it, but don't do so without talking to your doctor. Over time, your body can become dependent on the oxycodone in Percocet. You'll need to wean off the drug slowly so that you don't experience withdrawal symptoms.

If you want to stop taking Percocet because you feel it's no longer controlling your pain, you should talk to your doctor. It may mean you need a higher dose of the drug or that a different drug will be a better fit for you. Don't take more Percocet than prescribed; let your doctor adjust the dose for you.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the side effects of analgesics?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Analgesics, including aspirin and acetaminophen, are medications used to treat pain. They can al...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...