What is hydrocodone and acetaminophen oral solution?

Hydrocodone-acetaminophen oral solution is a combination of two pain relievers: hydrocodone, a narcotic, and acetaminophen, a non-narcotic, in a liquid formulation. It is prescribed as a short-term treatment for mild to severe pain and coughing. Because of the way hydrocodone works on the brain, it can both relieve pain and suppress coughing. Prescribed under the brand names Vicodin, Lortab, Lorcet and Norco, it may be prescribed as an oral solution. When taken as an oral solution, the dose should be carefully measured with a medicine spoon or oral syringe. Do not use a common tablespoon, as this is not precise enough.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...