How can I minimize the side effects of Lortab?

To minimize the side effects of Lortab (hydrocodone and acetaminophen), a prescription medicine to treat moderate to moderately severe pain, take the medicine exactly as instructed—do not take more of it, or take it for longer, than your doctor prescribes. If the medication doesn't control your pain, call your doctor right away. Do not increase the dose on your own.

The most common side effects from Lortab include lightheadedness, dizziness, feeling drowsy or sedated, and nausea or vomiting. It may help to lie down.

Do not drink alcohol while you're on Lortab, because the combination increases your risk for serious side effects.

When your pain subsides and you are ready to stop Lortab, follow your doctor's instructions about how to gradually taper off the drug. If you stop taking Lortab suddenly, you may have withdrawal symptoms, such as chills, profuse sweating, nausea and diarrhea.