Can I use Demerol if I am taking opioids?

Demerol (meperidine) is an opioid pain relief medication prescribed to treat moderate to severe pain for a short period of time. Taking it with another opioid can increase the likelihood of certain side effects, such as slowed breathing, low blood pressure and intense sleepiness that can lead to unconsciousness. It may also worsen the side effects of Demerol, which treats moderate to severe short-term pain.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...