Can I use Demerol if I am taking opioids?

Demerol (meperidine) is an opioid pain relief medication prescribed to treat moderate to severe pain for a short period of time. Taking it with another opioid can increase the likelihood of certain side effects, such as slowed breathing, low blood pressure and intense sleepiness that can lead to unconsciousness. It may also worsen the side effects of Demerol, which treats moderate to severe short-term pain.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...