Can Tylox interact with other medications or foods?

Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone), a narcotic pain reliever prescribed to treat moderate to moderately severe pain, may interact with other medications and certain foods. You should not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while taking Tylox, because the fruit inhibits an enzyme needed to break down oxycodone. This could lead to an increase in your blood levels of oxycodone, which raises the risk for fatal breathing problems.

You also should steer clear of alcohol: Both Tylox and alcohol can suppress the central nervous system and when taken at the same time can affect breathing and heart rate enough to cause a coma or even death. Taking Tylox with other narcotic pain relievers, drugs that have a hypnotic or sedative effect, tranquilizers or anesthetics can cause a similar effect. You should also not take anticholinergics, as the combination could cause an intestinal obstruction.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...