How does primary amenorrhea affect fertility?

Primary amenorrhea affects the body by making it extremely difficult for a woman to conceive. Primary amenorrhea affects fertility because if you have never experienced menstruation, you are most likely unable to ovulate. A failure to ovulate means that you are not producing viable eggs to be inseminated by your partner's sperm, so you cannot get pregnant. In some cases, seeing a doctor can correct primary amenorrhea and establish your ability to ovulate, which will likely correct your fertility. Treatment resulting in ovulation often involves correcting a hormone imbalance in the body by taking hormone supplements or having corrective surgery to remove a tumor on glands that produce hormones.

Primary amenorrhea affects both children and adults in a similar way, but it is generally diagnosed during the teenage years. Adults who were diagnosed with a form of primary amenorrhea where the cause of it was unable to be cured will suffer the same effects as teenagers who have been diagnosed with primary amenorrhea and have no cure. Both adults and teenagers who cannot be cured will not be expected to ever experience a natural menstruation and will almost certainly require egg donation for the conception of a child.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

What is primary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary amenorrhea is when a girl 16 or older has not received her first period, also known as begin...
What do I need to know when caring for someone with amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea can have a number of causes and can happen to almost any woman. If someone you know has n...
Can I get amenorrhea if I am not sexually active?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
You can get amenorrhea even if not sexually active. Secondary amenorrhea is when, after being regula...
How can surgery affect amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Other illnesses affect primary amenorrhea by creating hormone imbalances and nutrient absorption pro...