How do medications treat AIDS-related lymphoma?

Chemotherapy drugs can destroy cancer cells or stop them from reproducing, and they are a standard treatment for AIDS-related lymphoma. These may be given as pills you can swallow, or they may be injected into your bloodstream or directly into the cancer site. A newer treatment, known as targeted therapy, attaches drugs directly to cancer cells. People with AIDS-related lymphoma also take drugs to combat their HIV infection, known as highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART). And there are anti-nausea drugs available to counteract some of the more unpleasant side effects of chemotherapy as well as prescription pain medications.

Continue Learning about AIDS-Related Lymphoma

What are the stages of AIDS-related lymphoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The stages of AIDS-related lymphoma are as follows:Stage IStage I AIDS-related lymphoma is divided i...
What are the follow-up tests for AIDS-related lymphoma?
Some of the tests that were done to diagnose the cancer or to find out the stage of the cancer may b...
What follow-up care will I need for AIDS-related lymphoma?
During treatment for AIDS-related lymphoma, your doctor may need to run tests to check whether the t...
What should I know about caring for someone with AIDS-related lymphoma?
If someone you care for has AIDS-related lymphoma, they may face complex treatment involving not onl...