What is the main cause of decline in brain function as we age?

One of the major theories of aging attributes physiological deterioration to the accumulated damage that free radicals cause our cells over time—and neurons, the interconnected networks of nerve cells that the brain relies on to function, are particularly vulnerable to free-radical damage.

Continue Learning about Aging & Mental Health

6 Foods to Keep Your Mind Young
6 Foods to Keep Your Mind Young
Generally, what's harmful to your heart also is also harmful to your brain. Make no mistake about it: While fried potato skins are busting your button...
Is a regular mental workout valuable as I age?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
Research to-date clearly supports the idea of “use it or lose it” and even expands on the original h...
How can I respond to accusations and paranoia from my aging parent?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Whether or not the accusations from an aging parent are true, being accused of anything hurts. B...
6 Surprising Ways to Live Longer
6 Surprising Ways to Live Longer6 Surprising Ways to Live Longer6 Surprising Ways to Live Longer6 Surprising Ways to Live Longer
A healthy sex life, practicing forgiveness and other tips for longevity. The longest living people in the world, like those in the “Blue Zones” of Oki...