Can aging affect my balancing capability?

Kelly Traver

Balance also declines with age due to a reduction in nerve connections in the cerebellum as well as in the joints. These nerves are important because they give your brain valuable information about your position in space. The two best things a person can do to preserve balance are to keep the core muscles strong and to participate in tai chi or chi gong, which are slow, rhythmic Eastern movements that build strength and balance.

Continue Learning about Aging & Mental Health

3 Ways to Maintain Focus as You Age
3 Ways to Maintain Focus as You Age
At age 84, Sister Madonna Buder (aka The Iron Nun), finished Ironman Canada. How’d she do it? Sister Iron says, “…all I was concentrating on [was] get...
How can I respond to accusations and paranoia from my aging parent?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Whether or not the accusations from an aging parent are true, being accused of anything hurts. B...
6 Surprising Ways to Live Longer
6 Surprising Ways to Live Longer6 Surprising Ways to Live Longer6 Surprising Ways to Live Longer6 Surprising Ways to Live Longer
A healthy sex life, practicing forgiveness and other tips for longevity.
Corn: An Anti-Aging Food
Corn: An Anti-Aging Food