Why should I stretch every day if I am an older adult?

As our body ages, it undergoes significant physiological changes. One such change is a shortening of
connective tissue. A shortening of ligaments, fascia, tendons and capsules can reduce range of motion of moveable joints by as much as 25%. Stretching can prevent the shortening of this tissue and allow older adults to maintain flexibility.

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
As we age, our muscles and tendons naturally become shorter. This leads to abnormal muscle firing, decreased joint range of motion, and an increased potential for injury. We can prevent these changes by stretching daily. Yes, I said daily. It does not take long, and you may perform stretches anywhere, not just in the gym.
Dr. Vonda Wright's Guide to Thrive: 4 Steps to Body, Brains, and Bliss

Dr. Wright unfolds her Guide to Thrive by preparing readers for six remarkable months of body, brains, and bliss transformation, using her framework of the four practical steps. As a scientist and...

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Want to Keep Your Heart and Brain Young? Do This
Here’s a startling fact: About 3 in 4 American adults don’t get the recommended amount of physical activity, according to the Centers for Disease Cont...
How does exercise affect mobility in older people?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Men and women age 65 years and older who exercise have a lower risk of losing mobility. One of the f...
How can I improve my balance as I age?
A well-designed balance training program is designed to ensure optimal efficiency of the body. Balan...
The Secret to Healthy Aging
The Secret to Healthy Aging