Why should I stretch every day if I am an older adult?

As our body ages, it undergoes significant physiological changes. One such change is a shortening of
connective tissue. A shortening of ligaments, fascia, tendons and capsules can reduce range of motion of moveable joints by as much as 25%. Stretching can prevent the shortening of this tissue and allow older adults to maintain flexibility.

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
As we age, our muscles and tendons naturally become shorter. This leads to abnormal muscle firing, decreased joint range of motion, and an increased potential for injury. We can prevent these changes by stretching daily. Yes, I said daily. It does not take long, and you may perform stretches anywhere, not just in the gym.
Dr. Vonda Wright's Guide to Thrive: 4 Steps to Body, Brains, and Bliss

Dr. Wright unfolds her Guide to Thrive by preparing readers for six remarkable months of body, brains, and bliss transformation, using her framework of the four practical steps. As a scientist and...

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness