How can I motivate a senior citizen to exercise?

I recommend using a 5-step process to get senior citizens to exercise more:

1. Clarify their vision or goal. Those who have a clear sense of what they want achieve more.
  2. Come up with a strategy. Learn senior citizens short and long-term goals then align these goals with their priorities to develop a plan of action. Tackle small
    goal goals that build to the final goal.
  3. Develop self-confidence and self-efficacy by completing small goals and drawing from that success.
  4. Encourage and develop persistence. Exercise everyday can lead to lifestyle change and habit forming. Persistence can also be helped with fighting boredom. Make exercise fun and change it up.
  5. Always promote learning. Have the senior citizen self-monitor to identify progress and performance changes.
Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
Some ways to keep seniors motivated to exercise include: focusing on small accomplishments rather than lofty goals; using exercise time as social time; and using a bathroom scale to track progress. Different methods of motivating seniors, including competitive drive, body-image issues, and health concerns, could be used to get seniors up and moving.

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Strong Arms for a Longer Life
Strong Arms for a Longer Life
Study after study reveals that muscle tone in the arms is a significant predictor of longevity and a younger RealAge (strong grip strength, pecs, core...
How does exercise affect mobility in older people?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Men and women age 65 years and older who exercise have a lower risk of losing mobility. One of the f...
How should I exercise if I'm an older adult?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
As we get older, it takes longer for our muscles to recover after exercise. For this reason, you sho...
Save Your Muscles as You Age
Save Your Muscles as You Age