How can I motivate a senior citizen to exercise?

I recommend using a 5-step process to get senior citizens to exercise more:

1. Clarify their vision or goal. Those who have a clear sense of what they want achieve more.
  2. Come up with a strategy. Learn senior citizens short and long-term goals then align these goals with their priorities to develop a plan of action. Tackle small
    goal goals that build to the final goal.
  3. Develop self-confidence and self-efficacy by completing small goals and drawing from that success.
  4. Encourage and develop persistence. Exercise everyday can lead to lifestyle change and habit forming. Persistence can also be helped with fighting boredom. Make exercise fun and change it up.
  5. Always promote learning. Have the senior citizen self-monitor to identify progress and performance changes.
Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
Some ways to keep seniors motivated to exercise include: focusing on small accomplishments rather than lofty goals; using exercise time as social time; and using a bathroom scale to track progress. Different methods of motivating seniors, including competitive drive, body-image issues, and health concerns, could be used to get seniors up and moving.

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Want to Keep Your Heart and Brain Young? Do This
Here’s a startling fact: About 3 in 4 American adults don’t get the recommended amount of physical activity, according to the Centers for Disease Cont...
As an older adult, how can I get in shape?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
The following are ten tips for older adults to get into good shape and stay there:Limit your effecti...
Can exercise increase bone and muscle mass in older adults?
The aging process is associated with a decrease in bone and muscle mass of about 1 percent per year,...
Balance Training: A Great Anti-Aging Tool