What is delayed ejaculation?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
Delayed ejaculation occurs when a man is able to have an erection but isn't able to ejaculate. There's no "right" amount of time for a man to take to reach orgasm. An older man will generally need more prolonged stimulation for arousal and orgasm. Also, some men reach orgasm much more easily through manual and oral stimulation. Because the urge to ejaculate lessens with age, an older man may be able to enjoy intercourse without needing to ejaculate every time. However, if the urge is present but orgasm fails to occur after a lengthy period of intercourse, he may give up trying. Alternately, the man's female partner may need to halt lovemaking because of vaginal discomfort. Delayed ejaculation is a relatively rare problem, affecting only 3% to 8% of men.
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
If a man consistently has trouble achieving orgasm and ejaculating, he may have delayed ejaculation (DE). Guys with DE may regularly last upwards of 30 minutes, may not be able to ejaculate from intercourse, or may not be able to ejaculate at all (a condition called anejaculation).
Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
Delayed ejaculation, or DE, is a broad term to describe men who take longer than usual to reach orgasm, who orgasm only through masturbation, or who aren’t able to orgasm at all.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

Is something wrong if I don't orgasm every time I have sex?
Most likely, nothing is wrong if you don't have an orgasm every time you have sex. In fact, it's pre...
How can I have an orgasm if I’ve never have had one?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
Just because you haven’t had an orgasm doesn’t mean you can’t have one. Your first orgasm will be ea...
How long does it typically take to achieve orgasm?
The average man achieves orgasm in three to five minutes; it can take a woman four times as long. Th...
Can women climax easier if they're relaxed?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Studies show that women are more likely to orgasm when comfortable and relaxed during sex. Resear...