How long does it typically take to achieve orgasm?

The average man achieves orgasm in three to five minutes; it can take a woman four times as long. This is one reason many women don't achieve orgasm in every sexual encounter. If they feel pressured to have an orgasm, it can make a sexual encounter more stressful than tax day. And that just about guarantees a woman won't have an orgasm.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

What kind of emotional factors can affect my ability to orgasm?
Dr. Marsha LucasDr. Marsha Lucas
Boredom is just one of many things that can get in the way of a great orgasm, says neuropsychologist...
Can I have an orgasm without realizing it?
The intensity of an orgasm may vary from person to person, but people usually realize that they're h...
How can I give a woman an orgasm without intercourse?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
In my experience, one of the most effective and satisfying ways to get a woman off is with oral sex,...
How can I help my partner have a female orgasm?
Debby HerbenickDebby Herbenick
First, don’t make orgasm a goal, which only adds anxiety. That said, try touching her clitoris d...