Can women climax easier if they're relaxed?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
Studies show that women are more likely to orgasm when comfortable and relaxed during sex.

Researchers in the Netherlands found that the key to female arousal seems to be a deep sense of relaxation. In a study in which the brains of men and women were scanned during the process of sexual response using a technique called positron emission tomography (PET), the results showed that the parts of the female brain responsible for processing fear, anxiety and high emotion deactivate during sexual activity. And at peak, during orgasm, the female brain's emotion centers close down, producing an almost trance-like state. So do whatever you can to make her feel at ease and less stressed.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

How does age affect the ability to orgasm?
As people age, their bodies go through changes that may affect their sexuality, including their abil...
How can I have an orgasm during sex?
Debby HerbenickDebby Herbenick
First, focus on the pleasure of sex, not orgasm as a goal, which adds anxiety. That said, try to...
How can I have an orgasm if I’ve never have had one?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
Just because you haven’t had an orgasm doesn’t mean you can’t have one. Your first orgasm will be ea...
How can I reach orgasm if my partner has premature ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
There's a whole world of sexual activities that have nothing to do with when a guy ejaculates -- or ...