Can women climax easier if they're relaxed?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
Studies show that women are more likely to orgasm when comfortable and relaxed during sex.

Researchers in the Netherlands found that the key to female arousal seems to be a deep sense of relaxation. In a study in which the brains of men and women were scanned during the process of sexual response using a technique called positron emission tomography (PET), the results showed that the parts of the female brain responsible for processing fear, anxiety and high emotion deactivate during sexual activity. And at peak, during orgasm, the female brain's emotion centers close down, producing an almost trance-like state. So do whatever you can to make her feel at ease and less stressed.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

How can I have an orgasm during sex?
Debby HerbenickDebby Herbenick
First, focus on the pleasure of sex, not orgasm as a goal, which adds anxiety. That said, try to...
What is delayed ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
If a man consistently has trouble achieving orgasm and ejaculating, he may have delayed ejaculat...
Can alcohol cause delayed ejaculation?
A small amount of alcohol may put you in the mood for sex, but larger quantities can impair not only...
How can I improve my ability to orgasm?
Many people experience trouble having an orgasm at some point in their lives, but there are many way...