How should a bee sting be treated?
Bee stings usually cause only minor discomfort, but it's still important to treat them carefully to reduce the risk of infection or allergic reaction. Pediatrician Tanya Remer Altmann, MD, describes bee sting care in this video.
If your child is known to be severely allergic to stings and is having signs of anaphylaxis, use your epinephrine pen and seek medical attention
right away. [MUSIC PLAYING]
Hi, I'm Dr. Altmann. Bee stings are no fun no matter how old you are. Here's what to do if your child is stung.
First, look and see if there is any visible stinger. Remove it by gently scraping horizontally across the skin with the edge of a credit
card or a clean fingernail. Wash the area with soap and water. Then apply ice or a cold compress to help soothe pain and swelling.
You can also give her an appropriate dose of ibuprofen or acetaminophen for the pain. If the sting itches, apply a topical anti-itch medication,
like hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion. Or give an appropriate dose of an oral antihistamine.
Check with your pediatrician if you spot any signs of a secondary skin infection such as increasing redness,
pain, drainage, or pus. If there is an infection, your child may need an antibiotic. Also, keep an eye out for any symptom
of an allergic reaction. Trouble breathing or swallowing, facial swelling or hives are signs of anaphylaxis.
In that case, seek medical attention immediately. If your child is known to be severely allergic to stings
and is having signs of anaphylaxis, use your epinephrine pen and seek medical attention right away.
first aid safety
Browse videos by topic categories